13 N 400 W
Salt Lake City, UT 84103
The Salt Lake City Union Pacific Depot is a spacious building located in the new Gateway District, next to the Jazz Basketball Arena in Salt Lake City, Utah. Built from 1908 to 1909 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Originally called the Union Station, it was jointly constructed by the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad and the Oregon Short Line, both later wholly owned by the Union Pacific at an estimated cost of $450,000. Both railroads’ initials were prominently displayed on the front of the building.
The sandstone building is constructed in French Second Empire style, and includes a terazzo floor and stained glass windows. One ceiling mural by San Francisco artist Harry Hopp depicts the driving of the Golden Spike north of Salt Lake City at “Promontory Summit” signifying the completion of the first transcontinental railroad in 1869. Another mural by San Francisco artist John McQuarrie shows the 1847 arrival of Mormon pioneers to what is now Salt Lake City.
Several side rooms were originally used for separate male and female waiting areas. The depot once housed an emergency hospital, lunch room, baggage rooms, and offices for both of the original railroads.
In January 2006, three floors of the old Union Pacific depot re-opened as a restaurant and music venue, fittingly called The Depot. The Depot brings a wide variety of musical talent to Salt Lake City.